Only a community willing to take risks and accept some degree of
failure will see results.
The city's current position is not a challenge but a whole realm
City. The city that learns, learns to innovate. Cumberland can
become a creative foundry.
Design. Community members should take the lead in designing
solutions to local problems. They should be given the tools and
knowledge to effect change.
* Maintain culture of fiscal restraint to ensure lean service delivery
and guarantee low cost public services.
* Revise upwards outside-of-city water/sewer charges to reflect
current cost of providing these services.
* Publish Annual City Goals document and present in public session.
* Create a Planning Office within Administrative Services to improve
long-range planning and grants writing capacity.
* Increase Foundation grants writing initiatives. Work with Tri-County
Council to create a community development foundation.
Space and the Environment
* Continue work on Sustainable Cumberland Initiative
* Support creation of County-wide Parks and Recreation System
* Develop City Skate park.
* Create joint-use agreement with Board of Education that will revitalize
recreational open space at Washington Middle, Braddock Middle, and
South Penn and install playground equipment at West Side Elementary
and John Humbird Elementary.
* Create recycling program and build financial incentives into existing
trash fee schedule.
* Develop Management Plan for new City Park on Wills Mountain, support
additional open space acquisitions on steep slopes, and support
creation of scenic overlook.
* Create brochure mapping City open space and recreational assets.
Access and Accountability
* Continue participation in summer foot patrol
* Maintain and improve Adventure Government webpage.
* Press for creation of Government Access Channel through local
cable television provider
* Implement computerized CRM/citizen complaint system.
* Continue citizen satisfaction survey and monitor on annual basis
* Maintain Accountability system and establish benchmarks
* Support distribution of "Welcome Package" to new residents.
* Support annual Groundhog Day Neighborhood Summit
* Through the Neighborhood Advisory Association, develop neighborhood-based
Community Design teams.
* Establish website presence on ALLCONET for Neighborhood Associations.
* Monitor effect of out-of-town landlords on property condition
* Institute code reform to prevent usage of street for long-term
vehicle parking and storage.
* Support creation of a Virginia Avenue corridor design and development
* Create an early warning system using water/sewer/tax records for
* Implement first-ever economic development plan with community
* Support creation of dedicated fund to support economic development
* Work with realtors to develop an inventory of vacant properties
that are available for development.
* Improve City Economic Development website and improve visitor
diagnostic information to aid recruitment.
* Develop a retail/service market analysis that can be used for
retail/service recruitment/brochure development. Establish City
presence at retailers convention.
* Dispose of surplus city properties for business development
* Support annual economic development report to M&CC to increase
community awareness of accomplishments and challenges.
* Develop a city business park
* Support annexation to increase the supply of undeveloped land
that can be marketed for development
Health and Education
* Support improving accessibility of health care through Community
* Support school renovation and public education funding efforts.
* Support Western Maryland Health System modernization efforts.
Secure funding and make zoning amendments necessary to facilitate
modernization on site of Memorial Campus.
* Lobby state to reinstate highway user fund cuts
* Institute surface management system, streets capital plan, and
streets programs guidelines. Publish information on city website.
* Support Combined Sewer Overflow plan.
* Support capital improvements for Potomac Highlands Authority airport.
* Work for the development of a modern political culture in Allegany
County, District 1, and the region.
* Improve coordination with other political jurisdictions such as
town of Ridgeley, Mineral County, and Mountain Maryland municipalities.
Research and Development
* Continue to provide policy research support for Mayor and City
* Obtain projector and computer laptop for use in making presentations
in the community.
* Continue work on an integrated urban simulation model (MountainSim)
that can be used to examine the impacts of public policies on land
use, transportation, and economic growth in the city.